Thursday, January 5, 2012

Shorty's surgery

Well, today was a bit of an interesting day....

I have recently blogged about our super cute new horse Shorty. Since he first got to the barn, he has had a bit of a 'weepy eye' going on. Runny with lots of gunky ooze coming out of it. Townsend and I both thought it was just an infection. We have been cleaning it every day for a month. It still won't go away. We decided to call the vet. I was very happy to see the vet today, but it was very bittersweet for me. I have not seen Scott (the vet) since Truman colicked. So I was a bit teary eyed at first. But I am glad that it happened. There are other horses out there in the world. Thats why Scott was at the barn. And I know that I did every single thing within my power to help Truman. For some reason, God was just ready for him. I know I'll see him again one day.

Ok, enough sappy sad stuff. On to Shorty.....

Well, Scott took a look at the eye and thought it was infected also. We sedated Shorty so we could flush out his sinuses. Then Scott started messing with the eye and realized that Shorty had a HUGE growth down inside his eye!!! We decided to perform minor surgery right then and there. It was stressful and tough since we had to put such a large horse down on the ground. But after seeing how big the mass was that was removed, it was such a relief! Shorty was so brave and such a good boy. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. It was so fascinating watching the vet work. I swear, if I won the lottery, I'd go to vet school.

No comments:

Post a Comment