Monday, November 14, 2011

Compost

So, about 2 years ago I found out about the glory that is composting. It is the greatest thing EVER! We bought a compost bin last year.


But if you don't want to buy one, you can make one as well out of wire.


It is amazing what you can put in compost. It has cut down our kitchen waste tremendously. We put vegetable scraps, moldy bread, paper, dog hair, egg shells, coffee grounds (including the filter), paper towels, egg crates and even the dirt that we sweep up off of our kitchen floor! We just cleaned out our garden and put all of the dead plants in our compost. We put dead leaves from our yard as well. It is so much fun to watch things break down and turn into "black gold" as a lot of gardeners call it. It is just magical! We used it in our garden last year and it was fabulous.

I encourage you to have a compost bin or pile in your backyard if you don't already. It is just wonderful. Even if you don't garden, it is great for just cutting down on kitchen waste. I have gotten quite a few family and friends to start composting and they all love it too!

I can't say enough great things about it! And it is TOO easy!

2 comments:

  1. I love to compost. It is such a great thing. And my wire cage works just as great as those fancy ones. Can't wait to plant my garden again this spring. love you, Sweetie!!!!Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still trying to figure this out, Blaire. I can't get back to the other pictures that you posted last week. I wanted to comment on those. And I just hit anonymous this time because that was the only one that would let me post. Maybe when you're home, you can set me up, so that I make comments . I love you forever and ever!!!!! Mom aka Blogspot Anonymous

    ReplyDelete