Friday, September 16, 2011

Truman Day 2

This morning, Boo and I headed to Tryon to visit our little survivor. We were cautiously optomistic about it. We arrived at 8:45. Visiting hours are from 9:00-9:30 and 4:00-4:30. As we waited in the car, we saw one of the vet techs leading a big chestnut horse out for a morning walk. Can you imagine my surprise when I realized it was TRUMAN!? I was so happy, I cried.
We went inside to see him and were so happy to see that he was feeling a bit more like himself. His blood had just been checked and his protein level had risen to 5. That is a wonderful sign. He had also gone to the bathroom a few times the previous night. Another great sign.
The vet techs that work at the hospital just love him to pieces. Hes already become a barn favorite. It makes me so happy to know that they love him so much. And it also makes me happy that he is showing so much of his personality. We even got to take him on a walk around the property.
I cried and cried yesterday worrying about the cost of this surgery. Townsend, a very wise soul, said to me, "blaire, in 20 years you would be killing yourself over the fact that you didn't do every possible thing that you could to save your horse. I guarantee you that in 20 years you won't think twice about how much money it cost you." She was 100% right. Being able to hug him and kiss him and just bury my face in his side was worth any amount of money. In fact, I don't think you could put a price on something like that. I am becoming more hopeful about him.
We went to visit him again this afternoon and they tested his blood again. He is now up to a protein level of 6. Thank the Lord. We are still not out of the woods by any means...but he has already come such a long long way. I am so proud of the fighter that he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment